You are here

A Friendly Reminder: Food & Products Harmful to Pets

It’s National Poison Prevention week over in the USA next week, which reminds the public how important it is to be aware of items in your house that can be poisonous or harmful.

Because of this, we thought it would be an appropriate time to give a friendly reminder to all our followers about some common foods/plants/products that are dangerous for our pets.

This list is not exhaustive so please consult your vet of anything else you are unsure about.

Food & Drink:

  • Grapes, currants, sultanas and raisins
  • Chocolate
  • Caffeine
  • Alcohol
  • Garlic, onions and chives
  • Xylitol (found in chewing gum and sweets)Avocado
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Yeast dough

Household Items:

  • Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen and others)
  • Paracetamol
  • Vitamin D (can be found in many products, inc. creams for psoriasis)
  • Batteries
  • Detergents
  • Chlorine based bleach
  • Dishwasher tablets

Garden Plants & Garage:

  • Daffodils, tulips, lilies and spring crocus
  • Fungi (wild mushrooms)
  • Herbicides
  • Rodenticides
  • Slug pellets
  • Fertilizers