It’s Friday, so we thought we’d entertain you all with some fun (and rather interesting) facts about man’s best friend – enjoy!
1. In the song ‘A Day in the Life’ by the Beatles, there is an ultrasonic whistle that is only audible to dogs.
2. The average dog can understand more than 150 words and gestures – perhaps even more with training!
3. Dogs can hear about 4 times the distance of humans and they have 18 separate muscles in their ears.
4. It’s estimated that there are about 8.5 million dogs in the UK and 70-80 million dogs in the US!
5. Bloodhounds can trace scents that are over 300 hours’ old and have been known to stick to a trail for more than 130 miles.
6. A study found that dogs can get jealous when they see their human paying attention to another dog.
7. A dog’s sense of smell is over 10,000 times better than a human’s.
8. It’s thought that the average dog has the mental abilities of a 2-year old.
9. You might think it’s cute, but dogs sometimes curl up in a ball when sleeping due to their instincts to protect their vital organs and keep warm.
10. And finally, you can lower your blood pressure just by petting your dog, so if you’re feeling stressed from a week at work, spend a bit of time giving your pup a cuddle this evening!