You are here
The process of taking your dog or cat to Spain and France is very similar. Here is a breakdown of the basic steps you’ll need to take. For a more in-depth chat, call us on 01725 551124 and we’d be more than happy to help.
1. Your pet will need an EU pet passport before travelling to France or Spain. Find out more about this here or give us a call on 01725 551124 to chat more about this.
2. Make sure your pet is microchipped with an ISO compliant microchip.
3. Your pet will need a rabies vaccination after the microchip is implanted. This will need to be given more than 21 days before entry to France or Spain but not after the vaccination has expired so make sure you know when this is! When your pet has entered either of these countries for the first time, it will not need a 21-day waiting period for future visits – you just need to keep rabies boosters up-to-date and make sure other entry requirements are met.
4. If you are taking your pet to France/Spain by plane, then they will need to be checked within 5 days of the flight to ensure they are free of disease and in good health.
PetAir UK is run and owned by vets to ensure the very best care for your pets. We remain true to our belief that the best possible service is always offered to our clients and their pets.
PetAir UK can make crates tailored to suit your pet(s), always to the best standard possible. All of our crates are sprayed with species specific appeasing pheromones, and comfortably lined with special bedding that ensures they are always dry throughout the journey. Not only is this service often economically to your advantage, but it ensures your pet travels in a secure, safe and reassuring environment.
PetAir UK can help with all the documentation to safely and correctly transport your pet(s) from country to country. Whether it be pet passports, import permits, custom clearance, veterinary tests or owner declarations. We can take care of absolutely everything.
The following breeds of dog are recognized as dangerous dogs and cannot be imported into France:
- Pit Bull Terriers, Rottweilers and Staffordshire Terriers (without a pedigree certification)
- Any type of Mastiff or Boerboel
- Japanese Tosa Inu (without a pedigree certification)
The following breeds of dog aren’t banned from entering Spain, however they must be registered within three months of entering the country. These breeds are:
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Brasiliero
- Tosa Inu & Akita Inu
PetAir UK have ample experience in flying dogs and cats to France/Spain. We can organise everything and help you plan all the steps required for your pet’s journey.
Our main aim to get pets to their destination safely and comfortably, while taking care of the owner’s stresses and needs also. So, if you’re planning to take your dog to France or Spain, give us a call and have a chat with one of our friendly staff members today!