Brexit Update – December 2020

Much is still to be sorted out about Brexit, but it seems that there is a plan for pets travelling to and from EU.

The UK has agreed with EU that the UK will have part 2 listed status for the non-commercial movement of pets after Brexit.

Key points for Pet Brexit:

This is for non-commercial movement of pets – so pets travelling within 5 days of their owners and fewer than 5 pets.

Pets will still need a microchip and rabies vaccine at least 21 days before travel

The current Pet passport you have is NOT ok for travel to and from EU. It can be used as a record of vaccinations, but you need additional paperwork.

The Animal Health certificate needs to be accompanied by a record of rabies vaccination – either a vaccination card or a passport or similar.

Owners will need to sign a declaration saying they are travelling within 5 days of their pets. This needs to accompany the AHC.

Pets need to be checked within 10 days of travel and issued with an Animal Health Certificate by your local vets. The animal Health Certificate is valid for:

  • export within 10 days of issuing for entry INTO EU
  • A single trip for entry into EU
  • Onward travel within EU for 4 months after the date of issue
  • Re-entry to GB for 4 months after date of issue

For up-to-date information, please see the Gov article here.

So for most of our clients travelling by plane, your pets will still need a health check with a vet before the flight. For most clients travelling to EU who travel by boat, your pets will need to be seen by a vet before they can travel.

Wed Dec 16 2020